Hunter Museum

I went to Hunter Museum with my classmates and ESL teacher on May 1st. Now I've been influenced in this thinking by two works that I would like to share with you.


First, I took notice of a work "Allen Street" by George Luks. The work was accompanied by a simple explanation. The explanation said the work describes the energy and vitality of a street in New York City's Lower East side immigrant slums. The artist, Luks expresses the transition between Old World immigrants and Americanized second generation. The first floor shops are lit, there are old country garb and the hodgepodge of brilliantly colored used furniture. On the other hand, we can see the Women's native costumes on the second floor shops.


Second, I took a notice of a work "Stowage" by Willie Cole. The person who is a staff member at Hunter Museum explained the work to us. There is a slave ship in the center of the work, and it is surrounded by many iron and ironing board. Each iron 'face' represents a different tribe along the African coast.

 I heard about slaves and the American Civil War from my ESL teacher and friends many times since I came here. Also, I have visited some places dealing with the history of America with my mentor and friends. I feel that it is important to know and learn the history in order not to repeat the sad history. I'm going to go to the Center for Civil and Human Right with my classmates and ESL teacher tomorrow. I would like to imbibe as mush information as possible. I had a great opportunity to learn art and history, thanks to studying abroad program at UTC.



























Comments